How are you doing today?
I’ve got a hot topic for you in this newsletter. And it has gotten more attention over the past couple of years.
It’s your immune system, and here’s why I think it needs more attention.
Why Your Immune System Is So Important
Your immune system is basically like your very own Marvel superhero universe, working hard to protect your body 24/7 from invaders.
Here’s the overlooked part: When you strengthen your immune system, you actually create a fitter, stronger, leaner, and healthier body.
Strengthening your immune system goes hand-in-hand with your health & fitness goals.
7 Steps to Strengthen Your Immune System:
1. Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. Studies show not getting enough quality sleep makes you more susceptible to getting sick.
2. Make sure your diet is packed with whole plant-based foods (fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes, etc.) because they contain antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, and Vitamin C, which can all help you fight illness.
3. Get some fiber, too. Your gut microbiome is a big part of your immune system – the healthy bacteria in your gut can improve your immunity while keeping pathogens from getting into your body through your digestive tract.
4. Cut back on added sugar. This one is a one-two punch. First, added sugars contribute to disease-causing inflammation. And second, they contribute to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease, all of which can affect your immune system.
5. Moderate exercise can cut inflammation plus promote the turnover of immune cells in your system. Aim for 150 minutes a week (5 x 30-minute sessions of exercises like brisk walking, swimming, jogging, biking, etc.).
6. Don’t get dehydrated because it’s linked with lower immunity. Try to drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of water daily (140 pounds = 70 ounces).
7. Make time to destress by building stress management into your routine. This could be yoga, meditation, prayer, journaling, exercise, or anything else that helps you burn off stress. Being chronically stressed is linked with inflammation in your body, plus it can affect your immune cell function.
Being proactive about your health and well-being matters now and into the future!
How many of those 7 steps are you taking today? Let us know! Post in our Facebook group.
If you’re ready to take the next step in your wellness journey, our Eat Well Your Way For Life Program might be the perfect fit.
Did you know that your favorite cultural foods can be part of a healthful eating plan?
Selecting nutrient-rich foods and beverages first is a way to make better choices within your daily eating plan. Choose first among the basic food groups: Use these tips to choose foods that have vitamins, minerals, fiber and other important nutrients
- Brightly colored fruits and 100% fruit juice
- Vibrantly colored vegetables including potatoes
- Whole-grain, fortified and fiber-rich grain foods
- Low-fat and fat-free milk, cheese and yogurt or fortified plant-based alternatives
- Lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, soy foods such as tofu and tempeh, beans, lentils and nuts
Meet With a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
A registered dietitian nutritionist, or RDN, can help you develop a safe and realistic eating plan! Plus, they can guide and motivate you with strategies for meal planning, grocery shopping and mindful eating.
One of my biggest passions is to help clients Incorporate their favorite Cultural Foods and Traditions.
Today is Holi, the Indian festival of colors. It is a celebration of the victory of good over evil. Happy Holi to those who celebrate it!